Saturday 23 April 2022

My trip to Budapest - Holocaust day

 It is the second time I have traveled to Budapest, only this time; it is in a different lineup. This time I went with the family. It was a slightly different experience from being with friends. We were in many restaurants of all kinds - authentic Hungarian food, steak restaurants, Italian, and occasionally we also sinned at Burger King. I tasted Curtosh, delicious, but I do not understand the big rush around this dessert. We were in stunning landmarks. But I think the most remember event for me from the trip is not the most positive one. I drove with my dad to a flea market half an hour from the city center; it is considered the largest market in Eastern Europe. My dad loves antiques and jewelry, so I did not want him to miss this experience. The market was huge and clean, and all the merchants had already arranged their things; from jewelry to furniture, everything was well kept and beautiful. As we continue to the depths of the market, I see that more and more stalls are selling Nazi things - passports, pictures of Hitler, uniforms, pins. I was shocked. Why would anyone even buy these pictures? I went back to reality. It was not pleasant to go back to reality.
Now that Holocaust Remembrance Day is approaching, I think it is worth noting that Hungary was one of the cruel states against the Jews; they were accomplices to the Nazis and killed about 600,000 Jews.
Many of the Jews were thrown into the Danube River in Budapest; it is said that the river was red from the blood of the bodies for a long time

Lee Jan

3 comments:

  1. Important and enriching. Thanks. (Nice vocabulary :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable how in some places in Europe they still sell things which are related to the Nazis. This is definitely a shame call for the Europeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen similar "memorabilia" sold at a similar street market in Sofia.

    ReplyDelete